Home >Reply To: Recovery

Michelle Baynham

I just wanted to give a little advice for those wanting to get back into exercise after having a baby.  The Fourth Trimester
    is the 12-week period immediately after you have had your baby is a time of physical and emotional change as YOUR baby adjusts to being outside the womb, and YOU adjust to your new life as a mum.  Its a great idea to learn how to do kegels properly, check yourself for diastasis recti, learn why deep breathing is so important, how you can improve rib flare, and implement myofascial release, all to make your life a little bit easier.

During pregnancy, your muscles lengthen and turn off and other muscles compensate, which is why you should incorporate gentle movement that you can do daily to mobilise the stiff areas and active weak areas.

This time is mentally challenging as some mum’s are desperate to get back into hard workouts, but from personal experience with my own births and from training women over the years I highly recommend you take your time and understand that the early stages will be more mental than physical.

Do not rush getting back to ‘your’ normal.  Exercise recommendations will all depend on what type of delivery you had so please be mindful of this and always seek medical advice.

If anyone needs any advice I’d be happy to help